Shroff Eye Hospital is India's First Eye Hospital accredited by the Joint Commission International (USA) since 2006. Shroff Eye is also India's first and only Wavelight Concerto 500 Hz LASIK center. Shroff Eye has stood for excellence in eye care since 1919. A firm commitment to quality is at the heart of all services provided at our centers at Bandra(W) and Marine Drive, Mumbai.
Qualifications to Undergo LASIK
Refractive or laser eye surgery is not beneficial for everyone. All LASIK Eye Surgery candidates must first go through a preop eye evaluation to help determine eligibility for LASIK Eye Surgery.
Am I a Good Candidate for LASIK or Laser Eye Surgery?
LASIK surgery offers many patients the opportunity to dramatically reduce or even eliminate their need for glasses or contact lenses by correcting refractive areas directly on the eye. Some patients, however, are not eligible for LASIK.
Dr Anand Shroff, our LASIK surgeon will guide you immediately after the LASIK evaluation if all the tests done for both quantitative (refraction) and qualitative (quality of vison) functions find you eligible for LASIK.
- myopia: 0.50 to -12.00
- hyperopia: +0.50 to +6.00
- astigmatism: +/- 0.50 to +/- 6.00
If your refractive errors are not within these ranges, we will provide a further consultation to inform you of alternative choices of vision correction.
- Pupil diameter is another critical factor in determining LASIK eligibility. Most LASIK centres can treat only up to a maximum pupil diameter of 6.5 mm, but with our advanced laser technology we can achieve good results with pupils up to 8.5 mm in diameter. This is most important to avoid night vision issues.
- Corneal Thickness: Some patients have a corneal surface too thin for undergoing LASIK, however with the Concerto Laser, which saves up to 40% cornea, we can treat patients which other centres may have declined. Bladeless EpiLASIK is also one such option for such candidates
- Tear Film Stability: while most centres only calculate the Tear Film Score, we also check the quality of tears to understand the risk you have of post LASIK dryness.
During your consultation we will also consider other factors that may temporarily or permanently disqualify you from undergoing LASIK. These may include:
Severe heart problems, especially those requiring the use of a pacemaker
Diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, vascular disease, severe glaucoma, cataracts, ocular herpes simplex, or severe diabetes