Shroff Eye Hospital is India's First Eye Hospital accredited by the Joint Commission International (USA) since 2006. Shroff Eye is also India's first and only Wavelight Concerto 500 Hz LASIK center. Shroff Eye has stood for excellence in eye care since 1919. A firm commitment to quality is at the heart of all services provided at our centers at Bandra(W) and Marine Drive, Mumbai.
What is the macula?
The macula is a small area at the center of the retina that allows us to see fine details such as central vision, activities such as reading and writing and appreciating colour vision.
What causes Macular Degeneration?
Sometimes the delicate cells of the macula are damaged and stop functioning. The exact cause is not known although it tends to happen as people age and get older. This is called age-related macular degeneration. The most common types of macular degeneration are the dry (atrophic) and the wet (exudative).
The dry type is caused by aging and thinning of the tissues of the macula. The wet type results from the formation of abnormal blood vessels under the macula which leak fluid or blood and blur the central vision. Children and young people can also suffer from an inherited form of macular degeneration called macular dystrophy, which can sometimes affect several members from the same family
Symptoms of macular degeneration:
- Blurred or distorted central vision
- Words on a page look blurred
- Straight lines appear distorted or wavy
- Dark or shadowy areas appear in the center of vision
This makes activities like reading, writing and recognizing small objects or faces very difficult
How is Macular Degeneration diagnosed?
- Viewing the maculas with dilated pupils
- Fluorescein angiography (FFA) to find abnormal blood vessels under the macula.
- Indocyanine green angiography(ICG) is done in certain cases.
How is Macular Degeneration treated?
The dry form is treated by focusing on helping the person improve his central vision using low-vision aids like magnifying glasses, telescopic spectacles or closed-circuit televisions.
The wet form is treated with Argon laser photocoagulation to seal the leaking blood vessels that damage the macula.
At Shroff Eye,
- The patient receives specialized care provided by our Retinal specialists
- Macular conditions need regular follow-up since the condition can lead to irreversible loss of vision if poorly treated or neglected
- We record retinal images on the advanced Visupac system and maintain records of your eye condition for comparison on following visits.
- We employ the latest technologies in the treatment of macular conditions such as Anti-VEGF injections.