Shroff Eye Hospital is India's First Eye Hospital accredited by the Joint Commission International (USA) since 2006. Shroff Eye is also India's first and only Wavelight Concerto 500 Hz LASIK center. Shroff Eye has stood for excellence in eye care since 1919. A firm commitment to quality is at the heart of all services provided at our centers at Bandra(W) and Marine Drive, Mumbai.
With the correct eye care program that includes eye exercises, and proper diet and supplementation, you can significantly effect and even improve your vision.
COMPUTERS AND VISION
More than 50 percent of computer users experience eyestrain, headaches, blurred vision and other visual symptoms related to sustained use of the computer. This type of stress on the visual system can also cause body fatigue and reduced efficiency at work.
In addition, there are now indications that heavy computer users are at risk for glaucoma.
Many of these symptoms can be reduced through a combination of correcting workstation conditions, posture, stress-relieving lenses prescribed specifically for computer operation and simple eye exercises.
We were born to have hunters’ eyes, needed for spotting game or danger at a distance. But during the last 50 years nearly all our work and much of our recreation, for example, video games, has shifted the focus of our vision to arm’s length. This increased amount of near visual tasks often produces such changes as nearsightedness, suppressed vision in one eye, poor eye teaming and reduced efficiency at work and at play.
Many computer users experience visual stress due to: 1) an increase in the number and complexity of necessary eye movements and focusing skills, 2) poor lighting conditions, glare and distracting reflections, 3) screen flicker rate, and 4) above all, the extended amount of computer use.
The following is a Computer Stress Checklist:
Computer visual stress may underlie many direct and indirect symptoms. Eyestrain is a common direct symptom, while the need for shifts in posture and muscular strain resulting from poorly arranged work stations cause eye problems indirectly and other physical problems directly.
Direct Computer Stress Symptoms
- Headaches while doing or following computer use
- Irritated and/or dry eyes
- Blurred vision
- Slow refocusing when looking from screen to distance objects
- Frequently losing place when moving eyes between copy and the screen
- Difficulty seeing clearly at a distance after prolonged computer use
- Occasional doubling of vision
- Changes in color perception
- Changes in glasses prescription
Other Computer Stress Symptoms
- Neck or shoulder tension and pain
- Back pain
- Pain in arms, wrists, or shoulders when working on the computer
- Lowered visual efficiency and more frequent errors
- LapTop Recommendations
DeskTop Work Station Recommendations
- The computer screen should be slightly below eye level (about 20 degrees). Copy should be at the same level as the screen.
- Locate keyboard so your wrists and lower arms are parallel to the floor.
- Chairs should provide proper back support and be adjustable
- Adjust the chair height so your feet are flat on the floor with thighs parallel to the floor
- Adjust the worktable so legs and knees clear it’s underside
- The screen brightness and contrast should be adjusted by the operator for the maximum viewing comfort
- The workstation lighting should provide a 10:3 ratio: screen characters 10 times brighter than the screen background; room illumination 3 times brighter than screen background
- Each workstation should have an adjustable shaded copy lamp that can be aimed by the operator without causing screen reflections.
- Eliminate glare and screen reflections by moving or tilting the computer or getting an anti-glare screen.
- Try not to face toward windows or bright light sources.
- Operators should face into an open space beyond the computer screen.
- Clean the screen regularly as they attract dust
- Short, frequent breaks are better than longer, less frequent breaks. Try 2-3 minutes every 15-20 minutes, 5 minutes every 30 minutes, or 10 minutes every hour.
- Speak to your eye doctor regarding prescription computer glasses which reduce strain on the eyes