Shroff Eye Hospital is India's First Eye Hospital accredited by the Joint Commission International (USA) since 2006. Shroff Eye is also India's first and only Wavelight Concerto 500 Hz LASIK center. Shroff Eye has stood for excellence in eye care since 1919. A firm commitment to quality is at the heart of all services provided at our centers at Bandra(W) and Marine Drive, Mumbai.
The ICL (Implantable Contact Lens) is a refractive error solution that is ideal for those found unfit for other refractive procedures such as LASIK, EpiLASIK etc.
ICL or Implantable Contact Lens, as the name suggests, is a kind of contact lens which is implanted into the eye and does not require frequent removal like a normal contact lens. This phakic lens implant (here your natural lens of the eye is intact and is not removed) has numerous advantages for correction of the widest range of myopia (near sightedness), hyperopia (far sightedness) and astigmatism (cylindrical power).
Good candidates for the ICL include patients who:
- Are between the ages of 18 and 45 years.
- Have dry eyes, very high myopia (above -12.00D), or a thin cornea (non-LASIK candidate).
- Are nearsighted or farsighted, including those with mild, moderate, and high power with or without occurrence of astigmatism. The Toric ICL™, capable of correcting myopia and astigmatism together and combines two procedures into one.
- Have proper anterior chamber depth as will be determined by the eye surgeon or ophthalmologist after a comprehensive eye exam.
- Have not had a change in their eyeglass prescription of more than 0.50 Diopters in a year.
- Are not currently pregnant.
- Have no known allergies to medications used during refractive surgery or no other contraindications.
The ICL is made of Collamer®, a highly biocompatible advanced lens material which contains a small amount of purified collagen. Collamer does not cause a reaction inside the eye and it contains an ultraviolet filter that provides protection to the eye.
Currently we use ICL’s from the STAAR Surgical Company, the company that manufactures ICL. The Toric ICL is only a variant which corrects your nearsightedness as well as your astigmatism (cylindrical power) in one single procedure.
All ICL’s are custom made to meet the needs of each individual eye, after measurements and data are taken and sent to the manufacturing company. This type of lens implant has been available internationally for over 12 years.
The implant does not treat presbyopia (difficulty with reading in people 40 and older), but you can use reading glasses as needed after receiving the ICL.
The procedure is performed under topical anesthetic eye drops.
Our eye specialist and ICL expert will insert the ICL through a small micro-incison, placing it inside the eye just behind the iris (coloured part of the eye) and in front of the eye’s natural lens.
The implantation procedure for the ICL (Implantable Contact Lens) is refractive eye surgery that involves a procedure similar to the intraocular lens (IOL) implantation performed during cataract surgery. The main difference is that, unlike cataract surgery, the ICL eye surgery does not require the removal of the eye’s natural lens.
The ICL procedure is a relatively short procedure which takes about 15-30 minutes. It is simple and nearly painless.