Shroff Eye Hospital is India's First Eye Hospital accredited by the Joint Commission International (USA) since 2006. Shroff Eye is also India's first and only Wavelight Concerto 500 Hz LASIK center. Shroff Eye has stood for excellence in eye care since 1919. A firm commitment to quality is at the heart of all services provided at our centers at Bandra(W) and Marine Drive, Mumbai.
Are you suffering from headache or eye strain at work?
Is your child struggling in school?
What is Vision Therapy
- It is a NON- SURGICAL and CUSTOMIZED vision program designed to correct certain vision problems and improve visual skills.
- It involves a series of procedures carried out by a specially-trained optometrist (orthoptist).
- It aims to “TEACH” the visual system to correct itself.
- It is like PHYSICAL THERAPY for the eyes and the parts of the brain that control vision.
Who will conduct the Vision Therapy
A trained therapist – Orthoptist, under the direction of the doctor works with the patient once or twice a week for a period from three to six months, depending upon the nature and severity of the patient’s condition.
An Orthoptist is an eye care professional who is uniquely trained to evaluate and manage childhood and adult visual deficiencies, who will conduct special tests and teach exercise programs designed to correct eye coordination defects.
Why do you need to undergo Vision Therapy?
A routine eye consultation does not test a child’s or an adult’s focusing ability, tracking or visual perception skills. Many children pass their annual school vision screening or the pediatrician’s eye chart, but remain undiagnosed with problems of the visual system.How is the process of Vision Therapy conducted?
How is the process of Vision Therapy conducted?
An initial orthoptic assessment shall be conducted to diagnose the specificvisual deficiency.
The aim of this assessment is to diagnose various conditions such as hidden and manifest squint, depth perception for 3 dimensional vision, analysis of eye muscles for convergence or divergence issues, amongst others.
The orthoptist, in consultation with the treating eye doctor, will put together an individualized therapy program and set of treatment goals for the patient, which includes exercises in the Clinic and at home.
This treatment plan is thoroughly discussed with the patient or the parents if it involves a child and every effort is made to answer their questions.
When is Vision Therapy advisable?
SYMPTOMS FOR CHILDREN
If your child has 9 or more of the following symptoms he could be suffering from visual deficiencies which may be undetected during a routine eye consultation.
Signs and symptoms are:
- Reads easily at the beginning of the book, but struggles through the end/gives up
- Short attention span
- Frustration while reading or writing
- Complains of red, itching, burning, watering, eyes when reading
- Holds reading material very close
- Difficulty in changing the focus from far to near or vice versa
- Alphabet confusion (e.g. reads ‘d’ as ‘b’ or ‘a’ as ‘o’)
- Intermittent blur in the distance and up close
- Complaining about a long reading assignment
- Confusing right & left directions
SYMPTOMS FOR ADULTS
If you have 12 or more of the following symptoms you could be suffering from visual deficiencies which may be undetected during a routine eye consultation.
Symptoms you should not ignore
- Tiring easily while reading
- Avoiding near tasks such as reading
- Squinting, closing or covering one eye
- Difficulty tracking moving objects
- Shortened attention span
- Eyes bothered by light
- Tiring or soreness after close work
- Reading or writing too close to paper or screen
- Print “runs together” or “words jump”
- Print seems to move or comes in & out of focus when reading
- Text seems to double when reading, driving or looking at signs
- Unusual posture or head tilt when reading or writing
- Frequent head turning while reading
- Skipping lines or losing place when reading or copying
- Difficulty using binoculars
- Difficulty judging distance when parking or pulling into traffic
- Difficulty with night driving
- Seeing more clearly with one eye with best eyeglass prescription