Shroff Eye Hospital is India's First Eye Hospital accredited by the Joint Commission International (USA) since 2006. Shroff Eye is also India's first and only Wavelight Concerto 500 Hz LASIK center. Shroff Eye has stood for excellence in eye care since 1919. A firm commitment to quality is at the heart of all services provided at our centers at Bandra(W) and Marine Drive, Mumbai.
Are cataracts found only in older people?
Cataracts are commonly seen in older people over the age of 60 years. They are rarely seen in infants and young adults.
My doctor says I have to wait a while before removing my cataract. Why?
A cataract surgery is usually performed when the cataract interferes significantly with your vision and your daily routine. You need to visit the eye doctor regularly to monitor its progress.
How is a cataract removed?
Cataract surgery is a microscopic surgery usually performed under local or topical anaesthesia. The cloudy lens is removed by Phacoemulsification, which is a micro-incision technique of cataract surgery wherein a probe breaks the cataract intotiny pieces and sucks them out. If a foldable implant is inserted the incision size is smaller (2.8 – 3.0 mm) as compared to an approximately 5 mm incision to accommodate a non-foldable lens. Both incisions are self-sealing and need no stitches. Our eye doctor will help you decide as to which lens should suit you best.
I’ve heard that lasers are used in cataract surgery?
We perform the most advanced cataract surgery which in lay man terms is called ‘Laser cataract surgery’ although the true medical term is ‘Phaco emulsification’. The common person calls it laser cataract surgery because of ‘no stitches’. YAG lasers are sometimes used to create a clear opening in the lens-containing membrane, if it becomes cloudy after a few months following cataract surgery.
Will I need glasses after a cataract surgery?
This would depend on the type of intraocular lenses (IOLs) used for you. The advanced intra ocular lenses such as multifocal or accommodating IOLs greatly reduce dependency on glasses and in most cases even reading glasses can be avoided. Rarely does anyone have to wear thick eyeglasses now.
How long is the recovery period?
It may take around 3 months for most people to recover completely from a cataract surgery. You would notice clarity in fine details more vividly by then.
What should I expect immediately after Cataract Surgery
At the hospital after surgery:
- Post cataract surgery you would be seen by the surgeon before you leave the hospitalHe will answer any queries that you may have. You will be discharged from the hospital soon after the instructions are completed and with your caretaker as you are not allowed to leave by yourself alone.
- The nurse will brief you regarding all post operative care and instructions at time of discharge.
- Generally there is very little discomfort following surgery. However, if you do experience some mild pain, you may take the any pain-killers suitable to you.
At home after surgery:
SPECIFIC POSTOPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
CLEANING YOUR EYE
- For the first week following surgery you should protect the eye from injury. Do not rub or put pressure on the eye.
- Take small pieces of cotton wool and place them in a bowl containing water. Boil for 10 minutes and keep the bowl covered. After washing your hands with soap, take a small piece of the sterilized cotton wool from the bowl. Squeeze out the excess water. Clean the discharge around the lids without applying pressure on the eye.
PUTTING EYE DROPS
- Retract the lower lid and instill one drop of the prescribed eye drop into the eye. Gently close the eye just once and keep it closed after putting the eye drops. If you blink after instilling eye drops, they will reach the throat causing a sore throat and headache. Eye drops should be used as per the prescription. Ensure that your do not touch the dropper and that dropper does not touch the eye while instilling. This is to avoid infection.
- Do not apply drop by yourself on your eye.
PROTECTING YOUR EYES
- Put on protective eye wear provided by us throughout the day and continue to do so for one week outdoors
- Wipe tears or eye drops which have over flown below the margin of the dark glasses. Do not touch the eye.
- At night you will be instructed how to use a protective eye shield over the operated eye
- Before going to sleep, cover the eye with the shield provided to you with sticking plaster.This is to be used for a week post surgery.
- Do not place cotton wool between the shield and the eye.
- Do not sleep on the operated side for one week.
- For the first 5 days from the time of operation, take a bath below the neck. Hair can be washed after 5 days.
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- Do not lift any objects heavier than 10 kg for about 15 days after the surgery.
- Do not bend with your head below waist level for about 10 days after the surgery.
- You may start reading and watching TV after 2 days.
- Many people return to light work immediately after surgery, but please discuss your needs with your doctor during your post operative visit (next day).
- Ask your surgeon about any specific activities you may have in mind as in leaving town, driving, yoga, walks, gym etc.
FOLLOW UP VISITS
You would be required to come for a post operative check up as advised upon discharge. Please make sure that you call and confirm the appointment 2 days earlier.
If you have any further questions regarding your surgery or post operative treatment kindly speak our Nurse who will coordinate with your surgeon to answer your queries.
What are the complications I should know of and what symptoms should I be worried about?
PCO (secondary cataract) and Retinal detachment. It is relatively rare and not be ignored. PCO is easily treated with a YAG Laser procedure. Retinal detachment though rare is a serious complication needing urgent attention.
Do report if you have pain or discomfort, blurring after cataract surgery.
What happens in the first few weeks after cataract surgery?
The first few months after cataract surgery is the time to witness a major healing process in the operated eye. Although the healing time varies from person to person and eye to eye the healing in small incision cataract surgeries is faster compared to older techniques. When you have observed the precautions and instructions as mentioned you will begin to notice the changes in your overall visual condition improving day by day. It is in this adjustment period that the brain takes to adjust gradually with your new lens in stages.
What could be expected within the first several days of cataract surgery?
- Considerable improvement in vision.
- Ability to resume normal activities most of them from day 1.
- Gradual and steady decrease in the mild eye discomfort.
- Mild Floaters in some cases.
- Discharge from the operated eye at times.
- Minor discomfort is normal on the first day.
- Mild light sensitivity would wane off.
What care should I be taking other than the medications?
- Make your follow up visit as discussed.
- Continue with eye drops and other general instructions as discussed. Cataract Surgery alters the focus for the operated eye. Your old spectacle cannot be used and you would require new spectacle depending on the IOL.
- Avoid rubbing the eye and ensure eye is protected with eye shield.
- Any abnormal or unusual side effects need to be reported immediately like bleeding, nausea or persistent pain without any improvement.
What could be expected within the 1st month of cataract surgery?
In case your eyes require glasses after surgery, it would be prescribed only after vision gets stabilized. The power of the new glasses depends on the type of IOL selected (normally after 3-4 weeks). Some may not need glasses at all. You would be informed about the appointment for the measurement for glasses.
What happens at the first post-operative visit?
- Eye pressure tested. In case higher side, medicated would be prescribed.
- Dosage of medicines (eye drops) would be reduced as required.
What happens at the final post-operative visit?
At the final post-operative visit, your vision would be tested. Measurements to be taken to see if glasses are fine, in case you need them. Next visit would be advised to you after a specific gap time. It is advisable to have a yearly eye check up even in case you don’t face any issues.